This article demonstrates how to set up the Vigor Router as an SSL VPN gateway to allow Internet clients, especially macOS, to access the local network by an SSL VPN tunnel. In the article, we show the configuration required for the router, as well as how to start the SSL VPN connection from a mac using Smart VPN Client, the free VPN client app provided by DrayTek.
Setup on Vigor Router
1. Make sure the router is connected to the Internet and has a public WAN IP address so that VPN clients on the Internet can reach it.
2. At VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Access Control, make sure "SSL VPN Service" is enabled.
3. Create user profiles for SSL VPN clients. Go to VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Dial-in User. add a profile as follows:
- Check "SSL Tunnel" for Allowed Dial-In Type.
- Enter Username and Password.
- Click OK to save the profile.
VPN Setup on macOS
1. Get the latest SmartVPN App for MacOS at here. Start the App, click the setting icon then select "Basic" for Certificate verify level. (Read this article to learn more about Server Authentication.)
2. Click '+' to create a VPN profile
- Give a profile name
- Type Vigor Router's IP or domain name at Server
- Type SSL VPN port, which is 443 by default
- Type the Username
- Click Authentication Settings
3. Choose "Password" for User Authentication and type the password. Then, click OK.
4. Click Connect and allow the access to the required information.
5. After VPN, we can see the connection statistics like this.